Friday, March 17, 2006

Memories and me

Are there memories that you never forget? Things that pop up in your mind decades later?

Here is one of mine.

When I was 7 or so I was terrified of water. I would be that loser kid hugging the side of the pool. My mother put me in swim lessons. I remember there were 2 other children and the instructer. We held hands in a circle and she said "ok at the count of 3 we are going to go under the water, everyone is going under!" 1, 2, 3 and we went under. When I came up I was so excited, proud and amazed at myself. I did not drown or die. No one had to rescue me and I didn't cry. After that and practice I became a competitive swimmer until I was 16. I've been thinking of this for a couple of weeks now. The most likely reason is child #2 is just like me. I've set him up for private lessons with a former drill instructor at the same pool. I think he is going to cry though. I have become the mother I said I never would. I want one of these children to be a swimmer like me. There are just so many great memories with swimming. The competitiveness, the friendships, the pool parties, the excitement and let's not forget eating jello powder with your finger!

Other stuff going on. I'm eating like crap lately. Tomorrow it stops. It isn't stopping today because this is our national holiday. I've got the corned beef ready to go. Though no cabbage. Yeck. I'm going on the assumption that the Irish switched to cabbage during the potato famine. Probably wrong about that, but the smell alone will make me ill.

My ankle is much better. I have no idea what I did to it last Sunday. I plan to run 2 miles sometime this weekend. I'm looking forward to the run. Here is a picture of me crossing the finish line . FYI...I don't even remember the fanny pack guy next to me. I must of been booking up that final hill and I just kept my eyes on the clock not on people.
  • ME!
  • 6 Comments:

    Blogger tryathlete said...

    Woo hoo! Excellent pic!

    I think after a sub-2 hour half you're entitled to an off week. Corned beef - dig in!

    6:59 AM  
    Blogger Triseverance said...

    mmmmm I love the cabbage....Great pic and really awsome job with the half. I love to read of others achieving goals.
    Childhood memory....We had a pool growing up, my sister took me to Jaws....I was stupid enough to think there might be a shark in the pool.....I still swam but it consisted of jumping off the diving board and swimming as fast as I could to the side of the pool....I still laugh at myself...

    7:51 AM  
    Blogger psbowe said...

    You still look strong at the end, yay! Enjoy your recovery week now...
    Growing up in AZ, well there isn't much water there so I never swam much but I'm sure the kids the cities did like Phoenix, almost everyone has a pool in their back yard.

    12:05 AM  
    Blogger neca said...

    Yay you!

    6:00 AM  
    Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

    Congrats on the 1/2 Marathon - smokin'!

    My son was terrified of getting his head wet when he was little. Washing and rinsing his hair required the best games I could muster - or putting him in a headlock.

    When he finally started swimming and I put him on the team in the 6 and unders he wouldn't swim at the meets because "I feel like everyone is watching me". Oy.

    When he was 12 he joined the team and went on to become their star and set records.

    You just never know.

    11:42 AM  
    Blogger Jennifer P said...

    Nice picture! And take some time off -- look at the wreck I am for not following that advice.

    It's funny that you say that about your son. As a kid, I was never pushed to excel at anything and sometimes I'm disappointed that I didn't have that opportunity.

    4:30 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home