Sunday, March 12, 2006

I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT, I DID IT!!!!!

Catchy title huh. Thank you. I thought it up on mile 11. It was shortly after I said to everyone around....."thank God there are only 2 more fucking miles to go." Whew IT is over. Actually it wasn't THAT bad. I would like to strangle our weatherman. It was suppose to be cloudy, not torrential downpours. I almost didn't run because I don't do rain. I will run in the rain if the temperature is 100 for 5 days with 101 humidity. Not when it's 50 (was suppose to be 70) out. All the racers where bitching before the start. It was common to hear "this sucks." My husband was waiting at mile 6 in case I jumped and was ready to DNF. (he knows about my aversion to rain running) Nope I put to much into this to quit.

Splits:
3 miles 26.04
4 miles 8.58
5 miles 8.49
6 miles 9.39
7 miles 9.37
8 miles 8.51
9 miles 9.20
10 miles 9.05
11 miles 8.47
12 miles 8.38 (this is the 2nd point I saw hubby and the kids... i must of been showing off)
13.1 miles 10.18

One extremely bloody shoe later I finished in 1 hour and 58 minutes(chip time) ! Yes. I was quite excited when I saw the finish line clock on the hill and it said 1:58. I put in a sprint, left my pacing buddy in my dust and finished hard. For some reason I developed a blister around mile 5. I noticed the blood on mile 8 and was pretty much grossed out by it for the rest of the race. I had to keep checking it out ever mile or so though. My legs are toast and will get a much needed massage tomorrow. I can't write down a detailed what was I thinking during the race b/c at this point I can't remember if I was thinking at all. When I saw the winner (1 hr 8 min chip time) pass me on his way back (I had just passed mile 6ish) I did think "what a freak" I didn't pick anyone off at the end with the exception of some 50 year old man on the final hill. I ran the race pretty much alone. I always ended up between groups. I admired everyone that passed my slow ass on mile 13. I just didn't have it in me anymore.

So I did it. I accomplished another goal. It's back to running for fun, weight maintenance and the special 5k races.

11 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

Fantastic!! Congratulations! and in the RAIN!! You should so get something extra special for running in the rain, especially when you hate it. Your time is amazing. Feel good now, and enjoy that massage!

2:34 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

Well done, M! 1:58 is brilliant. Especially when you ran most of it alone. What tenacity to keep going! I've been reading about this goal of yours for a long time, and I'm happy for you you've achieved it. Congratulations.

P.S. I'm glad the post title wasn't "F- the weatherman"!

2:21 AM  
Blogger Triseverance said...

Great job on the race M! Very happy to hear you did so well and enjoyed it. Great splits too, awsome.

7:04 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Holy Smokes! Congratulations! That's amazing time, you truly DID IT!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

CONGRATULATIONS.
Not only did you do it...but you rocked! Those are awesome splits!
Enjoy your recovery!

12:57 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:52 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 PM  
Blogger neca said...

Congratulations!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

Oh My Freaking GOD! You rock! Bloody feet and crummy t-shirt and all. I'm so proud of you!
You know, you say that you don't want to do another one but you never know...
Not only am I super jealous of your time, but everyone is running shorts! I'm months from shorts. Stupid Winnipeg...

9:27 PM  
Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Those are some seriously impressive times! I would think I had died and gone to race in Heaven if I got times like that. Congratulations!

BTW - that shirt is soooo inadequate. You had every right to bitch about it.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home