Thursday, February 16, 2006

A long time ago, in a place far, far away*

(*years ago, when I was fat, smoking a pack a day and drinking) I thought those people who ran in shorts in the winter snow were freaks. Well hello freak girl! I passed one runner today dressed like this. (note: this site cracks me up) I'm sure she was thinking to herself who is that idiot in shorts. Hey it was 50 degrees! Break out the summer running gear it's a February heatwave. If I had any balls I would of taken the in-sport turtleneck off, wrapped it around my waist and ran in my cute as anything tank. No balls though.

My watch seems to go missing on my runs anymore. I run watchless. A few months ago I would never do something as daring as that. I need to know splits. After reading Jeanne's Blog and taking Jennifer P's long ago advice I like running watchless. I did 4 something miles in around 40 something minutes. No pressure. I think I might be getting some groove back. I still hate the first mile. I hate my home running route. I hate the old lady that almost ran me off the road too.

I know why I hate running with people. They make me go fast. I don't like being paced. I can run 8 min miles, I can run 9 ish min miles on training runs. I hate feeling I have to run fast. Though I must admit, my pacing friends push me to where I would never push myself.

For some reason I am not into the olympics. I love all the X-games sports they have introduced, but I just can't watch it. I think it's the coverage. I don't want to watch luge (they are crazy though) and what the hell is with curling? Come on this is NOT an olympic sport! The NY Times did an article on it about a curler who does major training (mill, elipitical....hey then I do olympic training too dammit) I still don't view them as athletes. Badmitton....yeah those guys are wicked and I'll give them the athletic approval. Curling, I think not.

I read another article at my gym. We have professional triathletes in my state. I'm shocked. I've always pictured tri's living in the West and South. (and yes Canada :) )I actually think I have swam next to some of them in the pool. I assumed they were there for exercise. Should of known after they lapped me. (3x) The one girl got hit by a car while she was riding her bike 30 mph and the car was doing 35 mph. She's got her game back and is in training again. That folks is an athlete.

Edit later that night:

I spoke to soon. I'm all over this snowboard cross. (go seth wescott!) I could watch this thing for hours. I can't wait to watch the girls tomorrow night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer P said...

Snowboard cross IS very COOL! And curling has to be a sport -- it's the only thing us Canadians are good at (besides spanking Americans in hockey :-)

I saw your confession on Tryathlete's blog -- sign up for your 1/2!! That's an order!

8:14 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Thanks for the shoutout! If I could run a 10 min mile (never mind 8 or 9!) I think I die right there and then. With a smile on my face though. You rock.

6:50 AM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

Curling? Sport? No way.

7:36 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

Last time I ran with anyone is college, but I love it back then, probably cuz we were all used to running about the same pace. Ever since then, it's just me..but I was suppose to start meeting up with this girl. But now I'm not running...so we'll see what happens I'm back up and running. She probably get tired of me slowing her down too much! Ha.
About the freak, I run in that kind of wardrobe! Kidding.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home