Tuesday, October 02, 2007

School

Last night my 6 year old son asked to speak to me privately (exact words) We went into his room and he informed that he wanted to transfer out of n___ school. I asked why. It started out with the naming of three girls who make fun of him b/c of what he puts in his in-house school journal. (train drawings) One girl is captain until 10/31 and he doesn't want to go back until she is not captain.

The second was a girl (in above group) who chases him at recess. We both had heard of this and actually made fun of it b/c we assumed this girl had a crush on him. It seems she gets her jollies by tormenting him.

The third (which he came down while I was emailing the teacher) was that he can't read and all the other kids can. He claims first grade is too hard. If there were a problem with him being so far behind the teacher would of informed me. Right? I've already emailed her about his dislike of first grade and asked her if he was doing well in class. She emailed me back that he was a great kid and keeping up just fine.

This morning my husband and I had a talk with Tommy again. My husband left for work. I went through Tommy's school folder and found what I think is disturbing. He had to draw a picture and write a sentence under it. He wrote his name, drew a picture of himself and his sentence was the following: "Nobody Likes What I Do" (please notice....the spelling is correct.) My heart just broke right then.

I emailed the teacher again (7:30 am) Now I am worried. I AM the type of mom that will NOT get into kid battles. You need to figure it out yourself. I WILL give you suggestions and lead you to the right/moral path. I want my children to be independent, to be able to take care of situations themselves b/c I won't always be there. But this .....his tears, the above picture-sentence, his fear, his mental stake (he physcially feels sick about going) has me really worried. I'm wondering if it's a combination of things or that these girls are just terrors.

That shit starts earlier and earlier. Last year Julia had her first run-in with these type of girls. She worked it out herself (with some words of wisdom from mom and dad) I always pictured Tommy has the stronger one. The kid that wouldn't take crap from anyone.

I just don't know. I want the teacher to email me back or for her get on the phone and call me.

Non important crap....my side has finally healed (thank you percaset for letting me get off the bed and couch finally) but my right side calf is sore b/c I twisted it on the same run. I'm sure it hurt on the weekend, but any pain below my gut ....well I didn't notice it.

2 Comments:

Blogger neca said...

That's a tough one. I know my son is strong, but very sensitive and keeps his emotions to himself. We went through similar stuff in 1st grade. Workign closely with the teacher is important so that you can be an advocate for him. Hugs and good luck.

11:31 AM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I hope he's alright.

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home