Saturday, May 31, 2008

Iron Girl

I had read this post one day and had a similar experience a few weeks before.

So I'm running along this trail and I get to the turn around point at :20 which is perfect for my lunch run. There have only been 3 or 4 other people on the trail- mostly walking their dogs and then another runner approaches. She sort of cocked her head to one side with a smile as though to communicate, "Huh, another runner chick....I haven't seen her run here before...maybe we could be best friends." I know...weird. And she was super cute.
From Carrie at Stronger --(private blog)



I almost blogged about it, but anything that had come into my head sounded queer.


One spring day while running with Brandy I had to walk the end of my course because she couldn't handle it. A girl ran up behind me and stopped to talk. (I didn't even hear her, and she scared the crap out of me) She had met my husband and Brandy, lived on the back road behind my neighborhood, had three dogs, ran .......... We talked about all of that. I told her I was training for a relay race and was out of shape and the dog wasn't helping me.

Since then I've seen her and her husband walk through our neighborhood with their dogs. Usually I'm in the backyard so I don't get to go over and say hi.


Yesterday I was out moving bulbs (while dressed in my Sex and the City movie outfit ...damn thing was sold out btw) and she walked by and asked about my relay race. I go up to her and low and behold she is wearing an IronMan shirt.

Yes I freaked.

"you did an Ironman?!"
"how hard is the swim to the bike"
"how is the open water swim"
"how is the run after you've been on the bike for 120 miles"
"I watched Wisconsin on my computer all day"
"I read all these blogs"
"I want to do a sprint-tri"
"I don't have a bike".
"I swim 1/2 mile at the pool just in case".

Yeah I'm a blubbering idiot, because I blabbed a lot more.

She's done Wisconsin and Arizona IM. Does all the local tri races. Told me "Escape from Fort Delaware" is a hard swim...something that one shouldn't start out with. I didn't mention that the reason I had wanted to do that was because it sounded super cool and the shirt rocked.

Long story short...she is looking for a bike for me.

With my luck she will find a free and/or cheap bike and I will have to eat my words.

Damn.

I better start swimming and running more.

3 Comments:

Blogger tryathlete said...

And when you do do it, you'll be Iron M!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Looks like it's on,M!

12:31 PM  
Blogger momo said...

you can TOTALLY do it. totally. get on out there - your medals are waiting for you!

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home