Sunday, June 11, 2006

Time

That's what it is all about. Finding time, no MAKING time to exercise. I woke up Saturday and knew I wanted to run. I'm not good at afternoon running and we had a soccer game at 10:30. Rather than sit around and wait (well, do wash and clean the house) I drove over to the fields an hour early and went for my run. My husband (who is the greatest) got the kids ready and went at the correct time.

My run starts up a hill. That basically sucks. You feel like crap and wonder what the heck you are getting yourself into. Then you keep going. I ran a serious hill route. I actually had to break one hill down into two stages so I wouldn't stop and quit. ("just get to part 1, just get to part 1..." I kept repeating) I have no idea how far I ran (that's my new thang) I ran for 19.10 on the way there and 19.20 on the way back. On the way back I ran into the wind. Well that's my excuse for a crappy back run. I hope I was running faster than 10 min miles. I'm still walking 5 days a week for an hour.

Soccer is over. Hooray!

My thyroid test came back at 2.8. That is pretty much the middle range of where I want to be. Since I last posted I think I found out what could be my problem. The other night I made pasta with broccoli rabe and tomatoes. I didn't have enough whole wheat pasta and used regular instead. After eating I passed out (comatose) on the couch at 7:00. The only reason I got up was to force myself to walk. I started thinking that when I drink beer I get so tired and always leave the party early. When I passed out on the couch I felt like I did when I was pregnant with #2. Which brings me to diabetes. I had gestational diabetes and learned so much during those months. For example just because a muffin says zucchini bran it's really loaded with sugar and bad carbs. I have an appt with an endocrinologist (Gland Doctor) in July. My grandfather died of complications from diabetes and my aunt has diabetes. I might be pre-diabetic (b/c of course I don't have unexplained weight loss) I don't want to do atkins (I would lose my two favorite foods...oatmeal and apples) but I might have to. How will this affect my runs is another consideration. Currently I'm not doing anything over 5 miles so there is no real need for carbs for something like that. I could also be hypoglycemic. OR I could be a hypocondriac. No, I know something is wrong. In January I thought I was losing my mind and was hypothyroid. I know my body and mind so well that something is up. I just need to deal with it.

2 Comments:

Blogger tryathlete said...

I'm sorry to hear the food situation sounds difficult. Good luck with managing it.

Dealing with the hill at the start when you're strongest? That sounds like good running strategy.

10:02 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

I hope you find out what's wrong, that's gotta be frustrating.

Just keep at it with the running. I need to get back into it with mine too...I've been a slacker.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home