Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Walking is harder than running?

Could it be?

Yesterday I went walking with running partner #1. She is the fastest walker I have ever met. (she's 5'8" to my 5'5) Though that shouldn't make a much of a difference. Soon I was jogging every once in awhile to; keep up with her, take a cardio break, to make my legs feel better. Then I suggested we just jog. Unfortunetley my knee started to give out at the end of (i'm assuming mile 1) I asked if we could walk at such and such point. Somehow she sped up, I thought she was sprinting so I sprinted, then she sprinted and then she pulled a muscle. Mini stretch for both of us, more walking, which hurt her muscles and made me feel crappy so we ran the rest of the way. We decided that jogging was easier. How about that? I think with jogging you are always in forward motion and walking you have to push yourself forward. Does that make sense? Running with an IPOD rocks too. We were just chatting, but I find it easier to complete my runs with blasting tunes. I also noticed that I'm huffing and puffing in the beginning of the walks/runs and at the end I'm breating easily. She was the opposite of me on that one. It was quite interesting.

While looking for inspiration the other day I clicked onto Wil's sight. I find this woman amazing. I have no idea how she does it all. I was shocked when I paged down to her June 10th entry. Check it out. She is the same height and weight as I am. My body doesn't look anything like that. I'm not even posting a pic of me posing. I can hear the laughter now! I just find it so interesting how two bodies, all things being equal can look so different.

2 Comments:

Blogger tryathlete said...

I find jogging easier on the hamstrings than walking. I agree with you there - it seems to require more effort to cover distance when walking.

11:03 PM  
Blogger SRR said...

Okay...I just looked at that pic...I go through that EXACT same torment that you, so it seems, are going through. Our bodies are all different and when you place 2 people side by side with the exact same height and weight, chances are their body types will not look anything alike. Muscle, genetics, eating habits...etc...all play into that. Now...why can't I just believe that too?!?!

Stay positive!!

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home