Monday, July 03, 2006

Baseline

I've started my training again. I've set up my baseline run. I run out for 20 minutes and run back for another 20 minutes. I want to cover more ground in the 20 minutes out and at least finish off at the start on my way back. Sounds pretty easy right?

This all came to me on Sunday morning in the middle of my PMS haze (btw where the heck is it?!) I got pissed b/c I had been up since 6:30 with the toddler and my husband was still sleeping like a baby (as always). So at 9 am I stomped upstairs, put the running clothes on and said "i'm running, bye". Next time I decide to run I should check out the weather. Who knew that they humidity was at 98% so early in the morning. The run was easy on the way down (maybe b/c I ran downhill the entire way) The run back that was another story. Uphill with 1/10 of mile on flat ground (or so it felt) I finish on a huge hill and was pretty impressed with my time back to the start. During the early climb on the final hill, my body sent me all sorts of signals to stop. These included dizziness, not being able to really run in a straight line, my heart doing strange things, my lungs gasping for air and all the hair on my body standing at attention. Of couse I only stop when my watch beeped my 40 minutes were up. Why? Because I am not a quitter. It took me 5 min to walk up the rest of the hill (and I was already halfway up) I don't know of anytime that I walked that slow. I've actually walked faster 10 hours after having a c-section with my third child.

So my baseline is set. I plan to do this run at least once a week. I would like to get running partner #1 out there with me. We both love the experience and benefits of hill training and with her along it'll keep my pace in check and we can chit chat so I don't die next time. I definately need to stash gatorade or water on the end part of the route too.

I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that I'm not where I was in January 2006. I can't even imagine running a half marathon, much less an 8 mile run. I don't even think I can pace a 4 mile run in 9 min miles anymore. The heat/humidity has a lot to do with this set-back. I know of runners who do a normal 10 mile run have to cut it short in the humidity we are experiencing right now.

I'll keep trucking along and hope that I can kick out a 5k in September, under 26 minutes. That's the goal set right now.

5 Comments:

Blogger SRR said...

Girlie, you better be careful in this heat and humidty! But way to push through and meet your challenge. :-)

2:50 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that I'm not where I was in January 2006. I can't even imagine running a half marathon, much less an 8 mile run. I don't even think I can pace a 4 mile run in 9 min miles anymore.

That makes two of us!

10:43 PM  
Blogger neca said...

Glad to hear you set a goal & are working on it. The humidity is awful - I'm getting up a 5 AM! to run before it gets too miserable.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... patents Dell computer floppy disk drive Lawyer malpractice attorney in california 1953 buick parts New havan rhinoplasty Arizona alpine traditional bookcase specifications Rfp telecom video conferencing

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home