Friday, December 07, 2007

James

I haven't seen him since he was 2+ years old at his father's funeral.

His father was my husband's older brother.

His father commited suicide by train.

His mother would not allow him to see any of the family.

His grandparents (my in-laws) sued for visitation and won.

His mother put so many limitations on visitiation that they soon quit pursuing it.

The rest of the family hated her. (she was an alcoholic, former drug addict and was arrested by the police for beating her husband....which we found out the latter later)

I didn't hate her, I didnt blame her for the suicide. I had no feelings towards her but pity.

I hated her the day (6 years later) when she took all my mother- in-laws cards and money gifts and threw them on her car and yelled at her to stop sending them.

I hated her more the day my father-in-law passed away without ever seeing his grandson again.

When I started running I always thought of her in front of me and me kicking her ass. (btw she qualified for the Boston Marathon ages ago) She does not run anymore and I don't care how fast she was/is I would still give it my best to beat her.

She quit paying her mortgage and her house was foreclosed and sold at auction. She sued on the grounds that she was mentally ill and WON. She got her house back. I learned the "world does revolve around some people" on that day.

She has since had another child with her boyfriend and another on the way.

Her boyfriend (father of new children) went to school with my husband and they know each other and were friendly when the would see each other.

James is a swimmer. His mother's boyfriend is a coach of a team we are swimming in January.

I hope I get to see James.

I wonder if James will see my husband.

What will James think when he see's his father's brother. (who looks just like him)

I wonder.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Small worlds colliding...hmmmm. I hope this is a good day. I hope something really special comes out of it.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Do you think James has been safe with her? She sounds horrible.

12:17 PM  
Blogger m said...

The boyfriend is a great guy. He taught my nephews how to swim and when my sil and bil see him they always stop to chat. During the mentally ill court case it was noted that she more or less had her family watch James most times. There were reports of her trying to pick-up a rich guy at the race track for awhile. I live in a very small state.

Yes she is horrible. My husband's family is so nice. There are 8 children and 15 grandchildren. James has 3 half sisters from a former marriage. He hasn't seen any of them.

When I have seen her (which is rarely) I can't even look at her. The one and only time I could was when I was in the throes of PMS. Even then I kept my mouth shut.

I hope one day he will look us all up. His older cousins are fantastic athletes and their names are in the papers for their pursuits.

5:59 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

What a sad sad story, and unfortunately one of about twenty million similar ones. No wonder the poor guy gave up on life, shame he didn't seek some solace in his family.

I hope you see him soon.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home