Friday, September 19, 2008

Vetting

Not venting, but vetting.

I had a job interview this week.

I found out this morning I didn't get the job. When I asked for constructive critisism on why I didn't get it she informed me "we don't disclose that information". Of course they don't.

It could of been the two (2) tests I took before the interview. The Wonderlic test. Which is some kind of IQ test. Then there was the next test which consisited of: vocabulary, math, finding mistakes and a part on punctuation. For example: In this sentence would you use i.e. , e.g., ie or eg? Would a semi colon go here? WHAT THE FUCK? I was an accounting major. I work with numbers. I don't know the difference between i.e. or e.g.

The Latin abbreviations "i.e." and "e.g." come up very frequently in writing and would probably come up more often if people were more sure of when it is right to use "i.e." and when "e.g." is required. To me, the only way to figure it out is to know what they stand for.

i.e."I.e." stands simply for "that is," which written out fully in Latin is 'id est'. "I.e." is used in place of "in other words," or "it/that is." It specifies or makes more clear.

e.g."E.g." means "for example" and comes from the Latin expression exempli gratia, "for the sake of an example," with the noun exemplum in the genitive to go with gratia in the ablative . "E.g." is used in expressions similar to "including," when you are not intending to list everything that is being discussed.

Now I know.

I had no rapport with the interviewers. There were three (3). Two ladies and one man on the speakerphone. He didn't say much and seemed nice. I spent over an hour discussing every mistake and fault I have. They didn't want to know any of the good things I have done. I managed to inject those in though. While I was dressed to kill, they were in jeans. While I looked awesome, one was about 50lbs overweight and the other looked like me when I wake up Saturday morning before I manage a cup of coffee. (or brush my teeth) Also her glasses were all wrong. I know I sound like a bitch, but both women seemed not happy in their lives or job. I think my enthusiasm bothered them. I wasn't a fit. (and I probably failed the semi-colon test)

I only wish Sarah Palin had been vetted as hard as I was.

6 Comments:

Blogger neca said...

Sorry about the job, but it doesn't sound like you would've kept your sanity for very long!!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry!

4:33 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but I don't know if you'd been happy working with those people.

Hope more opportunities come your way.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

Bummer. But the good news is you're the only one that wanted my free hat. Email me your details.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Probably means that the actual job would have sucked arse and you would have hated every minute of it i.e. you would have despised going to work. Next time you have no rapport with the interviewers e.g. they are dead pan egits, then just start acting crazy and have a laugh at their expense.

Hugsxx

5:27 PM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Wow that sucks. You REALLY had to take tests like that?

And I TOTALLY AGREE with you on that last line!

;)

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home