Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Neighborhood ladies (part 2)

Barb. First let me tell you why Barb amazes me. She has raised three wonderful children by herself. (her husband is a lawyer and is rarely home with all his traveling and late nights at the office) Barb is a master carpenter and master seamstress. If she sees it in a magazine she can copy it. She opened her own store on ebay and was extremely busy with it. She truly has talent.

Barb is also master liar, one-upper, materialistic snob, braggart and can gossip with the best of them.

My eye-opener with Barb was when I ran into her at the flower market. We had hung out, like neighbors do and even though I wasn't aware of the above I knew there was something off. I wasn't comfortable with her. We were very friendly though. (I met Barb before Abbey and Cara btw).

Back to my story. The flower market. It's a once a year event to raise funds for some charity. I was there with my children (only 2 at the time) and as I was leaving I saw Barb coming in with her friend. I was walking towards her and said "hi barb!" (i was maybe 10 feet away) She loooked at me, rolled her eyes and wispered something to her friend. I actually stopped in my tracks (now about 5' away) and said to myself "no she didn't just diss me!" I have no idea why I remember this event so clearly. I think it's because it was such a shock. It was so "Mean Girls", back in middle school, do a adults really do this kind of shit...shit. At this time I was still real friendly with Abbey so my life lessons came much later. I kept walking up to her, (because what the fuck just happened) and we spoke for about 30 seconds and she obviously didn't want to be seen with the likes of me.

At that time I realized she was a social climber to the max. It was the place to be seen and to show off the outfit, the kids, the stroller, the purse etc. Funny thing, I was parked at my in-laws estate down the street. Yes, I said estate. My in-laws are part of "society". I know the "in-people". Who cares. I don't go around telling everyone that I was invited to such and such's political fund raising party. That I could hang out with the D*P**t's at the annual steeplechase. Well, I could visit their tent, we don't actually receive an invitation. Whatever. We are so not into that whole society crap. We don't even bother going to the Event. Though, thinking about it, my kids would probably love it.

I want to introduce this person to the story. She was the one that Abbey hated so much on our walks. Abbey would tear her, her kids, her carpentry, seamstress skills to pieces for our ENTIRE walk. She hated her.

When Abbey dropped me (shortly after the above) she became best friends with Cara and Barb. Really. What the fuck?

Preview to part 3. What goes around comes around, also known as Karma is a Bitch!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home