Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life can be good in the dumps

The cake was fricken awesome! Thick and moist...yum! Maybe cakes are suppose to be airy and light? Hmmmm, does it really matter?
(no I'm not a cake decorator...never claimed to be)


(this is my four year old's piece of cake. Like any 4 year old he only appreciates icing)


My husband went to bed at 7:30 yesterday. Said it was the longest day of his life. He is no longer putting any money in his 401K and will up his deductions to 4. This should bring his salary back to 2006. Did I mention he is now only working 4 days a week? What makes me chuckle is this is what they want to do the county employees. Those people claim that they haven't had a raise in 3 years (yes they have had a cost of living adjustment, and they have something like 17 paid holidays!) and they refused this option. So what is the county doing? Raising all taxes and firing employees. Have fun with that. We are currently estatic with this option because the latter will probably bankrupt us.

I went walking with two neighbors yesterday and found out that two other husbands I know lost their jobs this week. I mentioned it to J to bolster his spirits. He in turn said he thinks we are entering into a depression, though not the "great depression" of the 30s.

I'm cancelling our gym membership ($90) per month today. At this point we can't handle that "hit" to our bank account and it is spring and I doubt we will use it. My neighbor is most likely cancelling her gym membership ($183 a month...yes she is crazy) and joining our pool with me as a reference so I will split my referral fee with her. That in turn will buy me a new bathing suit. Like the county employees I haven't had a new bathing suit in three years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

I agree with your husband.

But like my father pointed out last week, we are nowhere near the bottom of the barrel yet. If we were I wouldn't be typing on this computer and paying $30 a month for broadband access. I wouldn't be off to a wedding tomorrow with a new colour in my hair, I'd be eating only rice and minced meat.

My dog would be sold because i wouldn't be able to feed her.

So we need to cut back now and put a bit away because the days are going to get stormy.

I love the cake.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home