Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Good girl

144. Much better. (but I just ate a bag of "real" potato chips (3 million points?) so who knows.

My kids were helping me ice my legs last night. My dear husband gave me the 5th degree on my running stride etc....doesn't understand shin splints (since the last time I think the man ran was the Marine Corp Marathon...when he was an in-shape Marine in his 20s) Damm him.

Anyhow, I should explain why I am running with confirmed shin splints. I was going to wait until Saturday, (had my blog post all in my head too) But there is a reason I am obsessed with working out and my scale numbers.

I quit smoking on Saturday, October 1, 2005. So I have been running like a fool to combat the discusting eating I did the first two days of no cigs. (chocolate chips in the peanut butter and a large spoon comes to mind) I have decided to do a 1/2 marathon in March and I cannot do that and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. I can run a 5k every weekend and smoke like a fiend, but 13.1 miles. NOpe. I've been wanting to quit all summer, but with drinking, parties every weekend it wasn't realistic. I made a promise to myself that when my weight dropped to 140lbs I had to quit. Hence, my confusion of my weight dropping to 140 w/out my even trying. I didn't think I could quit with a toddler going through the terrible 18, 19, 20,21,22,23 (months) and 2's either. But for some reason it hasn't been THAT hard. Oh, it's been tough, but I have not killed any children or attempted murder on my husband in the past few days. I get crazy smoking urges, but they are gone within 5 minutes. I still miss smoking, but then again, I'm glad to be done with it. Does that make sense? I am a non-smoker. If I can quit anyone can. I did it cold turkey. I had a perscription for the patch, but decided I didn't need any crutches. I want this shit out of my system NOW, not in 12 weeks. (actually met a quitter at a party this past weekend and she's addicted to the nicorette gum...buys it by the case!) Today is day 4 of no smoking. All the nicotine and crap they put with it are completely out of my system. I supposedly have a week and half before all urges are completely gone. I doubt that.

Smoking was (i didn't realize this at the time) my obsession. All I thought about was smoking. On Saturday night (day 1) I came home from the store with a salad and as I was getting out of the car my mind actually said to me...cool after you eat the salad you can smoke. I'm serious!! I bet my heartrate jumped up in anticipation of finishing that salad and sitting outside for a smoke. I cannot imagine never smoking again. I have to do this one day at a time and in a couple months never smoking again will seem natural.

I'm very interested also (hence crazy running) will running and swimming get easier? I guess running has, since running 6+ miles a day in 3 days is a crazy thing to do for a girl who thought four miles was soooo long about a week ago. Swimming today was nice. Flip turns didn't seem to be so hard anymore. I am getting some lugies every now and then. Gross, but progress. I also have trouble sleeping. I pass out on the couch (i nap a lot too) at 9:00 pm and go to the actual bed at 10:00 pm and wake up around 2 then 3 then 5. This sucks. I should go downstairs, clean or do wash, but I'm scared I will have an urge and drive to the all night store and ruin my streak here.

So this blog is about exercise and my goals to lose weight and get in shape. Well not smoking makes me more in shape then ever or so they say. I might post at the end each day of the trials and tribuliations I had not smoking or not...well see.

3 Comments:

Blogger neca said...

Good luck! I am glad I never smoked - sounds VERY tough to quit!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Zara said...

I used to smoke, too. I know it's a bitch to quit but you're right...you can do it! And hell yeah the running and swimming will be easier for you! :)

Okay, this is weird. As I started typing this, my mp3 of "Spark" by Tori Amos started playing on my computer (it's in rotation with a bunch of other songs) and it starts with "She's addicted to nicotine patches (repeat)"...made me laugh! How gross it would be to buy the gum by the case...yuck!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

Good for you! I didn't realize you were a smoker and that you were running to combat the urges. I'll stop scolding you now...
And you've committed to doing a half in March? Hooray!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home