Friday, November 18, 2005

On the road again

I got my road run in yesterday. Not bad. It was an "old fashioned" run. I did my original 5 mile route. I got to try out my winter running gear also. The weather man said it felt like 27 degrees right before I went out. The gear worked out perfectly. Later in the winter I might have to get a second layer of pants on my legs though. After an hour out there my legs were a lovely shade of pink. I did have some behind the knee issues. What is that muscle/cartlidge behind the knee? Is it the patella? Well it hurt like crazy 3 miles into to run. I guess I need to hit the Alleve bottle before I go on these runs. Probably should add some new stretches also. I did a fair amount of waking between mile 4 and 5. That pisses me off, but the leg was hurting to much. I know not to push through pain anymore. Screw my favorite quote.

I am in no way ready for the XC race next week. My friend and I are running XC tomorrow, but it will be a slow run b/c she has never run xc and hasn't been running in about 3 weeks. Sunday I plan on doing a 5 mile run with my 1/2 marathon partner (again slow run) b/c she isn't used to such a "long" run. Next week looks like a lot of treadmill running. Which I abhor. I'm so bored after 20 minutes on the 'mill.

I've started to visualize my 1/2 marathon. My goal is to run 10 miles at around a 9-10 minute pace and do the last 5k at race speed. I don't want to be tired at the end (like the last 5k) where people are picking me off, I want to have the last bit of energy and speed to really get going at the end. This is something I really need to work at. Even on the run yesterday I went off good, 9 minute first mile, then 8 minute second mile and 10 min third mile...(30 seconds of that was waiting to cross the road) I have no idea why my second mile is always so fast. I have a hard time keeping the pace even sometimes. Usually after mile 3 everything rounds out to 10 min miles. Which isn't to shabby considering the hills I try to train on. Another goal I have is to start dropping this weight. Obviously I'm not getting down to 135 for my 40th. I did not take into account that I was quitting smoking in October. I had orginally planned to do it on November 26th. I think most of the "bad not smoking eating" is over. All in all I put on 6lbs in less than 2 months from dropping a death habit. I think I may have erased 2+ of that poundage. I would love to lose another 10lbs before the 1/2 in March.

Hope everyone has a great (warm) weekend.

4 Comments:

Blogger tryathlete said...

Sounds like a good half-marathon race plan to me!

I find the same is true for me when I run - the first mile is always slightly slower (takes time to warm up), the second is faster (warmed up and eager to go), and the third is slower (compensating for a too-fast second mile).

My 2 cents: Forget the scales - you've quit smoking and are in better health than you were. The weighing machine doesn't tell you that.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

With your long runs you'll drop the weight in no time (I did, however I gained it right back because I thought that running magically kept weight off -- dumb me).
Once you get out for your 10 mile and 13 mile runs you'll have a good idea of what your race pace will be like. Don't worry too much right now about pace...it'll come.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site Last minute cruise vacation information best results hypnosis stop smoking stop smoking hy

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Sideafexs vardenafil Answering service toledo ohio audio conferencing Free mature chinese women thumbs Hispanic before and after photos of rhinoplasty Home decoration french country 20 England football fixtures world cup Cote d &aposivoire craps buspirone venlafaxine hydrochloride and solubility info on valtrex Generic drug for zyrtec d protonix Replacement rear convertible window geo

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home