Friday, December 30, 2005

Tempo, fartleks, studies and goals

I did a 3 mile tempo run this morning. I missed the set time for mile 3 by 30 seconds so that needs work. I tried some speed training the other day after reading Jeanne's blog. I wasn't as daring as her to do 2 minutes of sprints. I settled on 1 minute, then after 30 seconds I decided that was more my lung capacity. I did one every mile. I hate speed work! I remember reading in one of those running books a quote from a guy who says he does no speed work and just runs a 5k every week. Which is basically what I did today. I don't have my splits now, but I did 3 miles in 25 minutes. Not a PR, but much faster than what I'm used to in normal runs.

About a month ago some University students asked me if I wanted to participate in a running study before I ran my PB in the last 5k. Of course I said "yes". Here are a portion of my results:

"You recently participated in the study: Identification of Runners with High Tibial Shock at the University of ______________
Here are the results: The average peak
shock (This is what we measured with the accelerometer that
I taped to your leg.) was 6.3 g on your left leg.
On your right leg, the average peak shock was 10.7 g. Based on
previous studies, peak shock above 8.9 Gs could be considered high.
There is some evidence that high shock may put one at increased risk for injuries
such as stress fractures. If you would like to discuss these results,
please, call me at _____________

Isn't that weird? Do I look like a freak when I run? My right leg does feel different and I push off more with that leg, but I thought that was just b/c it is the dominant side of my body. During the study I had to push off with my left leg at times and that really felt unatural. I'm going to try to do the next study (since I qualify...I don't think that a good thing either). I hope they can give me some tips and maybe help some other people like me with injuries.

Working on 2006 goals tonight. I'm starting to rethink the 2 hour half marathon time. I need to get some running self confidence back immediately. I think I might join the local running group and go on some faster pace runs. It would be neat to try out an 8 min/mile pace. I read somewhere that Oprah could do that for 5 miles. If she can do it I definately can do it.

Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

Blogger jeanne said...

What an interesting study. And god help you if you're taking any kind of instruction from me! I haven't attempted any kind of speed work since that little fiasco. But, i am joining a running club and I don't care what I look like. (I do, but i'll get over it.)

You are rockin!

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it laptops computer shopping army backpack 206 peugeot trekker wrc Cable tv att Edmonton projectors

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home