Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All good things must come to an end

Like my free gym membership. I didn't see this coming. Usually when I swipe my card it says "have a nice workout" Today when I did it I heard a car screeching. Ugh. They let me go through, but I have a feeling it's over. I will ask the big guy at the end of the week if he decided not to renew. Fuck this really messes up my whole training schedule. I can't join a new gym because; I refuse to pay $150+ upfront fees. What the hell is that about. 2nd I don't mind paying $40 a month for a gym membership since I WAS paying $43.80 a month to do Weight Watchers. BUT I don't feel like getting into some long contract thing. I probably won't even use the gym in the summer time. Crap. I guess I need to get the core ball and some tubing. I hate videos workouts. I really wanted to cross train too. Elipticals/steppers/swim. I did go for a swim today instead of the stepper because if it really is over I won't be swimming until this summer :(
Another reason not to join a gym is that money is going for my kids for summer camp. That's like a month or more of camps for one kid.

Dammit.

Onto other things. Visualization. I'm becoming a pro at this. I visulize all workouts and especially the half race course. Which is really interesting since I only know portions of the course. I need to start training on the actual course on weekends. I also need to breakdown and join this running club. I'm being very self consious about the whole thing. It's the same I was last year when I finally got my flabby ass into the gym. I was terrified about my old, chubby self working out. Now look at me. I'm don't have the best body there, but I'm in the top 25%. (ok so there aren't alot of super bodies at this gym) I'm just feeling the same way, I'm not fast enough, I'm too old. I may think I'm fast, but to these people I'm a slow poke. I went on their website and there are Ironman people as members and some girl ran a marathon in 3:15. (in 90+ humidity) I can barely run 5 miles in that weather.

I've noticed via other running blogs that all of us are getting ready for half marathons through the months of January - April. It must be the season. At least I'm not alone. My boss told me I should run a marathon next. You know what? No, I don't think so. Currently I have absolutely no desire to run for four+ (4) hours. No desire whatsoever. Maybe after the half I'll find that desire, but I can't even imagine running for that long. I'm actually having a hard time imagining myself running for 2+ hours. 26.2 miles. Nope. Not interested in that goal at all. I think it's great that others are, but it's not my thing right now.

Later: While researching running clubs I found this little tidbit. Uh, at the present time I will run a half marathon in 2 hours and 5 minutes. Or 2 hours and 7 minutes. Depending on which run I use. If I use a 5k personal best I will run it in around 1 hr 57 min. Maybe this thing doesn't work. Well enjoy it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer P said...

I'm cancelling my Y membership too for a lot of the same reasons. We actually have all of the gear and equipment we need at home but Ifind just having somewhere else to do it makes me more motivated.
And don't worry about sounding self absorbed. All of us that read your blog are here to support you.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Gyms are funded, I'm convinced, by some obscurely named and little known government agency -- that's why memberships fees feel like the ass-pounding we get from the IRS. However, taxes are good for many things, just as the gym is. Plus, I hear that some people like it in the ass.

10:39 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I agree with you on the marathon front. I have no interest to go too slow for too long.

1:32 AM  
Blogger psbowe said...

I didn't renew my gym membership this year... didn't use it during the summer and fall.

Marathon...you never know. :)

12:08 PM  
Blogger TriZilla said...

Hmmmm.... Maybe junk the gym and join the running group? I joined a running group (ok, truth be told I've only been to one run so far) and it was great! You're not that slow either. I found that I was middle of the pack, which is interesting, because my 1/2 best time is 2:25 or something. So, give it a whirl... A lot of groups let you run a few times without joining/paying. :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

The Y near my house is relatively cheap. And they usually waive the join up fees in January. And you can cancel at any time.

Of course I don't belong because 1) i'm too cheap and 2) we have machines at work.

i can TOTALLY relate to the self-consciousness thing. I hate to use the treadmill at work because then people will see how slow i am. I prefer running in the early morning because then I am relatively alone. We gotta get over this! I'll make it one of my new year's resolutions: who gives a crap what other people think!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home