Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Knowing the elite

A couple years ago my younger cousin got married. I had met the guy once before and thought he was a nice guy that could of stood to put on a few pounds and get a tan of some sort. Then they got married and each dinner table was set up for the marathons he raced (eg. pittsburgh, tokyo etc...) the times were posted there also. I was so NOT impressed. I asked my husband if the guy was any good. (since my husband was the only one I had ever known to run a marathon) He looked at me like I was an idiot and said are you nuts he's awesome. So my cousin married a runner. I knew he raced a lot and won prize money most times, blah, blah, blah.

My father wanted me to check this guys Boston Marathon time. Holy shit....He came in the top 40 (and no he wasn't #40) So I googled his name and I'm SO impressed. My husband looked at his time and wanted to know if he was qualifying for the olympic team. He's that good.

#4 finisher in the Boston Marathon went to my college. He was 9 years old when I was in my senior year there. I don't know him at all, but it's weird that such an elite runner went to such a small Catholic college. He joined the xc team there. I didn't even know we had a xc team.