Friday, September 22, 2006

Liar, Liar

I ran my new route again yesterday. It wasn't as easy and rewarding as the virgin run, but was better than the same old, same old route. I ran splits this time since I knew where the mile markers were. My miles were:
1. 9.42
2. 9.14
3.1 11.73

What? Huh? Now on mile 3 I was pushing myself. There is no way in hell that I ran a 12 minute 1.1 mile. Please. I was so pissed off when I got home that I checked my google pedometer calculations then got in my car and drove the route. The first two mile markers were probably off by 10 and 15 seconds. The 3rd? The third is actually 1.4 miles I probably ran mile 3 in 9 minutes. My pace was 9.11 per mile. Thank you very much. I could understand google ped. being wrong if there were some obscure trail in there (which there is in the old route) but please. So google lied to me.

I think I am a liar when I say I went running. Should I say I went jogging? Here is what I found running is in exercise terms:

Running (7 minute mile average)

At 7 minute mile running we will burn more than 10 *calories per minute and looking at most runners on the street many may deduce that this must be the best exercise to lose weight. Most runners seem so thin and lean but in fact running at this pace would not be the best idea to lose weight. We would probably be burning about 80% carbohydrates and only 20%fat.

Burning a high percentage of carbohydrates may increase rather than regulate appetite. Trained runners are different their muscles have adapted to this level of intense running over years of training, they utilise oxygen much better which accelerates their fat burning potential even at higher levels of physical exertion

Well I don't think I will ever have to worry about running a 7 min mile. Never ever. I went back in my archives to look at my winter training and my times. Gee I was pretty damn fast on some runs AND I lost my "cute as ever" tank top. I loved that tank top. Where the heck could it be? Probably with those fantastic times I was posting. It's ashamed of me. I think David threw it away. Last night the neighbors came over and we ordered 5 guys burgers (the best) and David got up and walked outside so I'm searching all over for his plate. I thought he brought it outside to eat then I thought maybe he put it in the pantry for safekeeping. Finally my neighbor found it in the trashcan (plate, fork and everything) intact right on top. This trashcan phase has been going on for close to a year. Well it's better than playing in the toilet phase. That's more of a spur of the moment thing.

Have a great weekend. I hope to get another run in this weekend if possible.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome RUN and yes I think it is running. I think 7 minute miles are RACING! Good job. I went on a new route too and it was awesome. I swear I am going to beat my head on the pavement if I go on the same old route one more time! Have a great run this weekend. Keep up the good work!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome RUN and yes I think it is running. I think 7 minute miles are RACING! Good job. I went on a new route too and it was awesome. I swear I am going to beat my head on the pavement if I go on the same old route one more time! Have a great run this weekend. Keep up the good work!

9:43 AM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

I'd like to award you the "Blogger of the week" medal for the 4 posts this week.

Driving in your car to check the route... that sounds like someone really pissed off with Google.

I read somewhere that the body only starts to recruit calories from fat for energy after about 20 minutes of running; and running at a faster pace recruits more carbs than fats.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home