Thursday, February 21, 2008

The old days

I just found out that I'm breaking the law. My 7 year old 55+ lb son is no longer in a car seat. The law states that he has to be 8 and 65+ lbs. I think if the transportation department and those "good" moms had their way he would be 15 and still in a car seat.

I remember in the "old days" speeding down I-95 3 days a week sitting in the front seat of a light blue, white leather interior, big ass Chevy Impala. Not sure if I was wearing a seat belt either. I was 8.

I remember going to the pool every day in a wood paneled station wagon with 10 kids in it. I know we weren't wearing a seat belt.

If you wore a bike helmet you had a head injury from a past fall.

Skateboards started out maybe 6" wide. Again no helmet. It was called grass.

When we had swim meets we dived in the shallow end. Now when there is a relay the kid starts in the water, there is no diving in the shallow end.

We belong to an old pool that still has diving boards. I am told that they don't "do" diving boards anymore. That's a shame.

Our swingset is over the ground. There is no mulch. I think the rule of the land is 3"-6" of mulch. I guess you could say we are "old school". Or some would call cheap and lazy.

I'm not arguing that kids shouldn't be in car seats. I've heard the horror stories of children sitting in the front seat and losing an eye to the airbag. Sure you could get hurt playing on a jungle gym over concrete. You could also dive in the shallow end and break your neck. You could hit your head on the diving board.

But I sure loved riding in the front seat of that Chevy Impala.

Yep, no run today and not much to post.

5 Comments:

Blogger tryathlete said...

Over here "Health and Safety" is viewed with equal disdain.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Ah.....I remember riding in the back of a pick-up truck with my dog beside me. Even sat on the tire wells. All the way....

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

I have a similar station wagon story and I don't ever remember being in a car seat. That said, we bought the most expensive car seat on the market for the Lentil. If he has aspirations to be a doctor or something that will support us in our old age he will have to wear a helmet at all times.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only the helmets and the carseats could keep my kids safe forever.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Nothing like the good ole days. It's a wonder that we're still here!

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home