Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Political vent

Ok. I'm pissed off so I have to write this down so I calm down.

A month or so ago Julia's friends told her they were moving to Ireland if Obama got elected. I yelled that they were ignorant, dumb people. My husband sat her down and explained how some people reacted the same way when John Kennedy was running for president. No one wanted a Catholic for President who would answer to the Pope.

Julia is doing a project on Abraham Lincoln. She asked today why people hated black people back then and what would the world be like if the South had won. I explained about ignorance and how things have changed for the good. We had a nice little talk.

1 hour later during dinner she tells me her friend Rachel and her parents are moving to London if Obama is elected. I asked "why would they do something stupid like that" (no sugar coating from this mom) She replied "because he is might say "kill the Jews".

People I can't take this shit anymore. I told Julia that her friends parents were ignorant and that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I don't care if she repeats that either. I also told her I was voting for Obama. (actually I'm leaning towards him, not to sure yet)

How to people say this crap in front of their kids? Do they also throw around the "N" word? We don't cut Jewish people up in this house. What would we say? I have my feelings on the Palestine issue, but I don't around the house damming every Jewish person for it. I don't judge all Baptists as right wing wacko-jobs. All Catholics as protesting abortion clinics.

I'm just really pissed off. I don't even know if I want my daughter ever over at this child's house again. Actually they have a very strange son who worries me and that would be the reason I have the girl come here.

I'm just pissed off about ignorance today.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a whole comment and it got deleted. Urgh.

What it said was that London may not be the best choice for them. There are a lot of different ethnicities. There are largely-white neighborhoods, but they are NOT welcoming to Jews, by and large. And there are lots of Arabs, who I can only imagine they assume are out to get them.

They might want to take their chances with Obama...

3:59 AM  
Blogger neca said...

We went through this with my son as well. There are some extremely conservative folks in NC and we ... aren't among them. It's tough.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

It's amazing today how ignorance about color still runs rampant. You would think her parents would no better but all it takes is one to plant the seed in a child for this kind of thinking to continue.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home