Saturday, November 11, 2006

Two 5k races w/in 7 days of each other.

Am I crazy? Probably. This one had free beer so what the hell. Registered, checked everyone out, stretched, walked around and stretched again. I can’t do that running thing before a 5k. The elite runners do that not me.

Line up at start. I’m getting bolder and lining up closer to the front. *BEEP* the start. Me......fall down immediately. (all the way down on pavement) Almost take down 10 year old diabetic child with me. Thank goodness I only rip her bib off. Everyone screems “ohhhhhhh” . (i hear this over my ipod) get up, apologize to 10 year old cutie and sprint to catch up. Hand is bleeding. Run, Run, Run. 5 minutes into 5k decide I hate 5k’s. (i’m getting better on that front) Hit mile marker #1 in 7:57. Think of Try with his little piggy feet in sneakers. New goal improve mile time by 50 seconds so I can jump on a plane to Jolly 'ol England and run 1 mile with him. Start to pick people off. Pick of little boy. He tries to pace me. Where the hell is mile marker #2. Man and lady pick me off. Look at his feet. He runs on his toes. Interesting. I try to run on my toes..........I quit running on my toes. He is weird. See girl in pink top way ahead. Try to catch her. Daydream. Girl in pink top is 2 feet ahead of me. Pace with her. (note to self quit pacing it slows me down) Pass her. Look at watch. 10 min since last mile. Great where was 2. See girl that passed me with “toe boy”. Pace her. Pass her. She passes me. See finish. Pissed off that clock says 25 something. Sprint. She sprints and we race to finish. She wins. She places 5th in age group, and I place 6th. ( the winner in our age group ran it in 19min) Congratulate her. We high five. She’s one year older.

Get free beer. Ask for Miller Lite, they look at me like I’m stupid. Only have tap micro brews. I am bummed. Get lousy micro brew, drink ¼ of it. Eat apple and leave. Final time: 25.31. Oh and here is a picture of me and some stud. I don’t know him. I asked him where the race started and he didn’t know and photo guy asked to take our picture. I wore my pink top to look like my sidebar purple bikini squirrel (aka Sandy).


Sunday....Postscript....my legs hurt and my right arm is in serious pain from fall. Thought about race (i put as much thought into 5k's as people do about marathons) and I think I'm getting better. Even though I'm about a minute off from PR time I've noticed that I have extra energy in last mile. I need to learn how to use energy more wisely and not waste it. OH and no long run this weekend. (again)

5 Comments:

Blogger Madd Mom said...

i hope your arm feels better. is it mean for me to be cracking up (almost in tears) at your description of the race?.. only to read later that you are now in pain? :( and i even did the "ohhhhh" at the end when i read about your arm being hurt.

great story M! sorry the beer stunk ~ the shirt is cute ~ and your next race will RAWK! :)

5:03 PM  
Blogger tryathlete said...

You thought of me while you were running? Aww. How sweet.

Loved your thoughts and descriptions of the race. Hope your arm heals up soon.

Will you look at that hottie with the stud!

4:47 AM  
Blogger neca said...

Great pic!

7:16 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

you really pulled it off even with falling down. i'm impressed! hope you didn't do any damage. and nice shirt!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jennifer P said...

Nice picture! Go faster that last minute...sounds stupid but it works. It feels awesome to really blow through that finish line.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home