Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Music

Scene: The bus stop.

My 7 year old son is singing "American Idiot". I tell him to stop. "but mom it's on my ipod." My neighbor (who I hate) asks who sings American Idiot (she's one of those "old" moms .... not in age mind you, just in general) I explain that it's one of my running songs and it's by Green Day. I get the "oh"-roll your eyes look.

It's time for a new ipod for mom. Mine is corrupted so I use the children's. They are getting used to "mom" music. Which in a way can be good. I'm quite eclectic with my music tastes. While at home it's jazz on all the time. Love. It. Though, not so much for running.

The ipod score can go like this:

AC/DC. Yes I drove a white firebird with t-tops and Angus Young blaring out of the stereo. I was THAT cool!
Grateful Dead. Yes I had the shirts, the homemade tapes, the long skirts and did all the stuff that came with being a deadhead.
Lynard Skynard-Stairway to Heaven is a great way to start a run. Also brings back bad high school dances, eyelash curlers, and melted on eyeliner memories.
Prince. Yes I was in a sorority and danced to Prince while drunk. I partied like it was 1999 for years.
KC and the Sunshine Band. My first K-Tel album. I think "Run Joey, Run" (this was a hit?) and "Seasons in the Sun" (always cried) was on that album.
Elton John. Was super into biking in college. Had the whole album downloaded onto my WALKMAN and rode my bike all over the country.
Violent Femes. Is there a cooler song than Blister on the Sun? I think not.
Rap Music. We don't say the "n" word in this house, but it's on my ipod. "lil john song. It's a very bad song, but let me tell...it will get your ass moving in mile 10.
Country Music. Ahhhh..... that would be a big fat n.o. NO.

There are some other explicit songs/verses on the 'ole ipod. I'm pretty careful and the rap is off. American Idiot does have swear words in it though. Yep I think it's time to fork over the $60 for another shuffle, and be a better mom for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must be an old mom -- I don't even own an ipod.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I agree that your tastes are eclectic. I am SO w/ you on the country music. Not my thang either. It looks like you will have to buck up & get another ipod.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home