Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Not so fast speedy

I watched my son swim tonight. Mr. Tri was there. I forgot to mention we shared a lane the night before. Only for 6 laps though. So anyhow I timed Mr. Tri. His first 50 (where he was definately not sprinting) was 40 seconds. Which in turns makes me realize:

I'm not that slow since I know he's been swimming 4x a week for years.
He's a man. (yes men are faster than women)
He's got a six pack.
He's got all those pool tools to work certain body parts in the water.
He probably really is a triathalete.

Me. I'm a runner, that used to swim competitively. (26 years ago....damn I'm old) I'm going to keep working on it. I really enjoy swimming in the pool. 30 minutes is enough for me. Actually 30 minutes is enough in any cardio event. After reading the "Zen of Running" last night I realize that I'm doing all of this for the enjoyment it brings me. I spent over 2 years running splits, living by the watch, running in training programs telling me what I should be doing on a certain day. That was all fine and good. I did enjoy it. Sure I will time my laps to see my gradual improvement. I like seeing improvement. In the marathon relay I will "race". I doubt I will be "zen" on that day.

I'm eating much healthier. Yes there is a cookie, a hershey kiss, in my life daily. Wine, beer, weekly. I refuse to give up the fun stuff. I feel better.

Now for the pissy stuff. There is this little girl in T's swim group. She is the biggest goof off I have ever seen. When she gets to the deep end she spends a couple minutes diving down and twirling. She gets on my son's nerve. Let's just say if she were my kid she wouldn't be doing that and if it continued I would pull her out of the program. (mean mom) Last night the kids did a mini relay race. This little girl is actually good in the breaststroke. Better than my son who works his butt off during the week. Yeah, that pisses me off. Good for her. T has so much drive and dedication when he is there. That makes me extremely happy that he gives it his all. I've raised him good. Except in the morning when he wakes up complaining about the world.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really pisses me off when someone gets something she hasn't worked hard for.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

I'm glad that you are not giving up the chocolate & the alcohol in your quest to eating healthier. Because life is all about balance.

It's good to hear that your son has so much dedication to swimming. His hard work WILL pay off!

Thanks for posting the link to the Zen of Running. It also reminded me of why I started to run & why I continue to run.

5:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home