Saturday, April 19, 2008

Life Lesson from Dad

Last night at a neighborhood party my son was called fat (he's not) stupid (he's not) but you get the picture. This from two boys who do not live in our neighborhood. I don't know why they picked on Tommy, but they had issues with him. What I liked was that his siblings, and friends (he's got a lot) stood up for him and were having none of it. Example: "NO ONE PICKS ON MY BEST FRIEND'S BROTHER, NO ONE!" I don't know who these boys thought they were messing with, but they picked the wrong neighborhood kids to pick on.

Later in the night I saw one of the boys hit Tommy in the face. This is not acceptable. I couldn't get a good reason out of any of the boys so I let it go.

When we got home I told my husband what happened.

He went in and talked to Tommy.

"When people call you names walk away. If someone hits you first I want you to punch them in the face as hard as you can. Neither I nor your Mother will be mad at you. They will never bother you again."

I'm not one for violence, but I think my husband has a point.

He should of decked that kid last night.

2 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

my husband told my son the VERY same thing. he was being picked on, and he said - if its words - walk away. but if someone takes a swing at you - you finish it and we will always support and defend you.

later on, the same kid kept tormenting him and tormenting him (we'd already gone to the school, talked the parents, everything), pinching, kicking, tripping - you name it. one day, though, he punched him and little j turned around and punched him right back.

the kid was shocked, started crying and hasn't bothered him since.

boys, though, right? so different than what we'd say to girls...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

the thing that gets me is that this has been the way dad's have advised sons "since adam was a cowboy" (one of my dad's favourite sayings) but these days, if you actually do hit back it isn't the end of it. Usually you're the one that's caught in the act and if it's at school, god forbid. My nephew just got stood down from school for a day last week (he's 16) because he jumped in to help his cousin who had been jumped by a carload of teens. What has happened in this society that helping your cousin out of a potentially life threatening situation where it's four on one, ends up in you being stood down from school?? Bloody PC bullshit.

I hope Tommy does a bit of boxing training until the next time!!

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home